Saturday 23 June 2012

EOTD: A Makeup Blast from the Past and Seven Year Anniversary

Yesterday was my Fiance and I's 7 year anniversary. I haven't really shared anything too personal on here yet, and thought now might be a good reason too. Let me start by telling you a little about our history. 

We went to the same high school from the start of Year 7, but didn't meet until we were both 16, at a mutual friends birthday. That night, I instantly had such a crush on him. In the months that followed, we talked a lot, and got to know each other. After some shameless flirting on my part, I plucked up the courage to tell him how I felt, which was enormous for me to even consider. So, one day at school, I managed to catch him while he was alone, and told him that I really liked him. His response... "Oh, okay". I was crushed! Not to mention humiliated. That night, after completely avoiding him out of shame, I found out through his good friend that he felt the same, but was too shy to tell me.

It wasn't until at least a week or more later that said friend had managed to convince him to ask me out. Which he tried to, for 5 days, but was thwarted each time by interrupting friends and my disappearance from my usual lunch spot (I had no idea he was looking for me). By the time he had finally asked me out, so many people knew he was trying to, that we actually had an audience of people secretly watching, waiting to see if it would finally happen.

So, we had a bit of a rocky start, but from there on out it has all been smooth sailing. He is my best friend and the love of my life all rolled into one. I've not met anyone else who gets me quite like he does, and who loves me so unconditionally. Every day I'm inspired by his compassion, kindness, determination and drive. 

I can't even begin to convey how lucky I feel that my life has been touched by him. When he asked me to marry him, it was the single most amazing night of my life. I cannot wait to marry him, and all of the memories of our relationship that have been swimming around in my head this week just make me even more excited to spend the rest of my days with him. I love him with all of my heart.

One of the memories I have been thinking about a lot this week was of our first real date. We went to a concert for a band that I loved and he hardly knew, and had the most amazing time. That was the night we had our first kiss, in among the crazy screaming crowd. Not the most romantic of settings, but it felt like time stopped. To this day I still remember that kiss as clear as day.

So, as an homage to that amazing night and the start of our relationship seven years ago, I decided to recreate the eye look that I wore. Back then I wasn't nearly as into makeup as I am now, but I remember fretting about how I would do my make up for days leading up to it. I still remember the look I wore, and associate it so strongly with that night. The thing I remember most about the makeup was a dark teal/green pencil liner that I used under my eyes. The reason I remember it so well is because it was a major player in my makeup repertoire back then, and I always felt incredibly adventurous when I wore it. I have a few photos from that night, none of which show my makeup too well, but from the look of it I also had a penchant for heavy black liner and a tonne of mascara.

Here is my recreation:


I don't think this makeup look is, or was, all too flattering for me and it makes me realise why I rarely use mascara on my lower lashes anymore (hello spiders legs). Still, it's fun to look back and reminisce about some of my best memories.

Does anyone else associate particular makeup looks and products with events in their lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...